THE 12TH A.I.R. GALLERY BIENNIAL
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
September 15, 2016 at 11:59pm
January 5 - February 5, 2017 with an opening reception on January 5, 2017 from 6-8pm
CURATOR: PIPER MARSHALL
Piper Marshall is an independent curator and writer based in New York City. She is a second year PhD student in the Department of Art History and Archaeology at Columbia University. Marshall has curated monographic exhibitions of artists Ryan McNamara, John Miller, Caitlin Keogh, Robert Barry, Sadie Benning, Ericka Beckman, Judith Bernstein, Hannah Weinberger, and Angela Bulloch. Formerly curator at the Swiss Institute / Contemporary Art New York, she organized the group exhibition "Descartes' Daughter,” and edited the accompanying exhibition reader. Marshall writes for periodicals including Texte Zur Kunst, Art in America Magazine, Kaleidoscope Magazine, Spike Magazine, The Third Rail and artforum.com. Other notable projects include “The Body As Techno-Base,” an ongoing collaborative research project with artist Rochelle Goldberg.
Sinister Feminism. We fortify veneer into armor. We appropriate from misogynist sources. We exceed the cinematic ideal. We vibrate the sound of the city. We endure. Our physicalizations we know are transgressive. We are a halation of line. We throw shadow across the page. We teach the tongues of the past. We mock the habit of metonymy. We transmit the sense of hysterics. We smell. We hurl what we are required to withstand: our bodies, our selves. We are trying to reach you.
We wildly grin.
- All media, including painting, photography, prints, drawing, works on paper, new media, sculpture, mixed media, traditional or non-traditional materials are welcome.
- There is no size limit on artwork.
- Please note that installations will ONLY be accepted if they have been completed. NO PROPOSALS will be accepted.
DELIVERY OF WORK
- All work accepted for the exhibition must arrive at the gallery framed and/or ready to hang/install.
- Work may be shipped via FedEx/UPS or hand-delivered to A.I.R. Gallery
- Return postage MUST BE provided for shipped work.
- A $35 non-refundable entry fee for 3 images OR 1 video submission (price will increase to $40 after September 1, 2016)
- An additional $5 for each extra image (up to 3 extra images allowed, 6-image limit)
- 72ppi, JPG, RGB files only.
- Longest side of image must be 1000 pixels.
- Each image may not exceed 1MB and 1000 pixels in any direction.
- Images MUST be oriented properly (ex: top of the image is up).
- File name MUST not include first or last name (this is a blind review).
APPLY WITH IMAGES HERE
- Videos may not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Videos may be a 5 minute clip of your full video OR up to 3 separate video clips within a 5 minute video.
APPLY WITH VIDEO HERE