NATIONAL ARTISTS PROGRAM
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JUNE 30, 2017
SELECTIONS ANNOUNCED BY JULY 2017
One of A.I.R. Gallery’s outreach initiatives is to create a national membership of self-identified women artists. These women are mid-career professional artists or emerging artists showing exceptional talent. This group of women artists forms a network of support and opportunity for each other and for and with the New York based member artists. A.I.R.’s National Artists Program is designed for 22 women artists living throughout the United States.
- This program is open to all self-identified women artists.
- Artists must live outside of New York City, but within the United States.
- Artists must not have been an A.I.R. National Artist Program member for the previous 2 years.
- Exhibition opportunities: Every member in the program exhibits annually in a curated group show. In recent year, curators of the National Artists Annual Exhibition have included: Suzanne Altmann, Rocio Aranda-Alvarado, Jill Conner, Charlotta Kotik, Catherine Morris, Barbara O’Brien, and Lesley Wright.
- Juried Exhibitions: In addition to the curated National Members Exhibition, artists may apply without fee to the following juried exhibitions: Generations, the Biennial exhibition series, and the Currents exhibition series.
- Solo Show: after two years a National Artist can apply to the Exhibition Committee for a solo show at the New York members’ rate.
- Artist’s receive representation on the gallery website.
- Opportunities for artist led events (i.e. Artist talks, panel discussions etc.)
- Access to fiscal sponsorship when requested for grants and donations requiring 501(c)(3) status.
- The membership is a two-year commitment to the program. The artist may choose to continue for 1 additional two-year term (totaling 4 years). Then after a 1-year hiatus, one can reapply.
- Membership fee of $1,440 per year, payable in two $720 segments, each, due by January 1st and August 1st.
- Shared expenses of yearly exhibition catalogue, announcements, press, postage, opening reception and photography.
- National Artists are encouraged to organize additional programs or projects using the gallery space and to provide resources or exhibition opportunities in their own regions.
- Artists may submit professional activities outside the gallery for publication in the gallery’s NEWS page.
ONLILNE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
It is FREE to apply! Applications must include the following:
- Contact information
- Artist Statement
- 10 images OR three 5-minute videos (see guidelines below)
- Completed image list including file name, title of artwork, year, medium, and dimensions (H” x W” x D”)
IMAGE FORMAT GUIDELINES
Digital still images: Images must be submitted online and meet the specifications below.
- JPEGs are the only format accepted.
- Must be set at 72dpi.
- Longest side of image must be 1000 pixels.
- Oriented properly (i.e. top of image is up).
- Applications will not be reviewed if images are not formatted and titled correctly.
VIDEO FORMAT GUIDELINES
Upload a 5-minute video to youtube.com. Copy and paste the URL of the uploaded video into the field provided in the online application.
- Video links may not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Videos may be a 5-minute clip of a full video. Please indicate that, if so.
The A.I.R. staff initially reviews applications to ascertain whether the applicant meets the eligibility requirements of the National Artist Program. In July, the selection panel will conduct a review of applications considering the following criteria:
- Ambition shown in the execution of artwork presented, work demonstrating intellectual rigor and innovative approaches to materials and concepts.
- Visions shown from a variety of perspectives; political, social and art historical.